Saturday, April 04, 2009

Przeczytać Podręcznik



I've been reading my friend Yaro's blog with the aid of an online translator, which sometimes gives it quite a surreal and unpenetrable twist. The last one was about reading manuals, which, clever chap that he is, he's able to do in English. He's well familiar with the acronym RTFM (Read The Fecking Manual) which doesn't seem to translate into Polish.

I'm not very good at reading manuals myself, although I do often refer to them. I remember photocopying 100 pages of a manual for Cubase for my Atari for £10 and taking them to Poland 18 years ago. I still find pages of that manual floating around today.

Recently I've been getting into Ableton Live, but I haven't glimpsed a manual yet. Instead, the marvels of YouTube provide a load of professional and amateur video tutorials, which help me bumble around.



Despite sticking to the manual / recipe, this banana cake didn't quite turn out right first time and was uncooked in the middle although looking fine from the outside. Trouble is, I don't have the manual for the oven and without it, I don't know how much the fan assistance contributes to overall cooking time, or whether cooking time stays the same and the temperature should be reduced. A handy YouTube video about Phillips ovens would help - or more cake practice.

No comments: