Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Pete Taylor



Pete Taylor, one of my neighbours at the allotment and a familiar local environmental activist and campaigner, has died. It's suspected that his death, at home, was connected to the asthma with which he'd had a lifelong struggle and which in part inspired his campaigns against, among other things, traffic pollution.

When I first took on my plot, Pete was very friendly, giving me spare tools, cuttings and advice. In return, I gave him pumpkins and helped to move some of his collection of saplings that he was famous for planting in and around the city. I learned early on of his asthma and hatred for bonfires, ensuring that if I did have to burn anything he wasn't around, although perversely, he still liked a smoke and would occasionally cadge tobacco from me.

He showed me photos of a house he'd acquired in Spain, gave me loads of "Thank You For Not Driving' stickers (a campaign which he'd masterminded) we shared responsibility for making sure the allotment cat had enough biscuits and often had a chat.

He was passionate and could be a bit angry and volatile at times, even to people on the same side, but I respected him the more for apologising when we fell out.

Having checked out now, Pete will be spared the redevelopment of the chocolate factory that lies between his home and allotment, but whatever happens, I'm sure I won't be alone in planting a tree somewhere in the vicinity in his memory.

More info & tributes @ bristolcars.blogspot.com

No comments: