Monday, February 01, 2010

Curry No Favour



Walked out of the house this morning to find my curry bush on the pavement, snapped off from the main stem. It hadn't been large enough to hang over the front wall and get in anyone's way, so I can only imagine who and why. Perhaps a reluctant toddler, hanging on to anything rather than go to nursery school but no, it would have been out of reach. Maybe the passerby in recent years who told me that they didn't like the smell culled it before it flowered, or someone doing parkour grabbed it to prevent a fall or perhaps someone meant to pull a bit off as they passed, to appreciate the pong, but grasped too much and yanked away the branch.

It's been bugging me all day, especially as I don't think it was done until this morning, which rules out alcohol. Ho hum. It was over ten years old I suppose and not in the best of condition, although the pruning I'd given it a year or two ago seemed to have restored it to life a bit. The yellow flowers in summer are great and the aroma intense. I've taken some cuttings for what it's worth and I've been thinking about what to replace it with, probably a mahonia.

No comments: