Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Colder

Watched a documentary on the 1984 miners' strike, reminding me of its effect on my politicisation at the time, but also setting me off to hunt down a haunting song which appeared in the soundtrack.

I seemed to know it well, yet I couldn't put my finger on it. Was it Echo & The Bunnymen, The Psychedelic Furs ? No, too electronic for that, but it wasn't New Order or Joy Division and it was too European to be Suicide.

So I typed a few of the lyrics into googly and eventually identified the song. It was quite a shock to discover that the track was only 6 years old, not 25 as I'd assumed, that I hardly recognised the artist's name and he wasn't British.

But what a track ! Crikey !! It's got bits of all the bands mentioned above and he's clearly into his Joy Division. I remember now that I must have recorded it onto MiniDisc from a John Peel show, the year before he died.

It's a great one for doing the Ian Curtis dance to ; )

Last FM (Some interesting remixes too) : Colder - Crazy Love

YouTube : (Until they block all music vids)


No comments: